I could have posted this the day after the elections but I decided to wait. Instead, I took some time to take in the incredibly historic thing that happened two nights ago. I also decided to take some time to read and listen to what Americans and the world were saying about Mr. Barack Obama becoming the next President - the first African American president! What I found was something amazing and, in some respects, unfortunately not surprising. I was brought to tears both from joyful amazement and by disappointing, hurtful attitudes.
To take you back to where I was on election night, just before the announcement of who had won the Presidency...I was in my apartment all by myself, trying to get some studying in (needless to say the homework part of it was unsuccessful). I listened to John McCain give his concession speach and it was honoring to hear him speak, especially considering all that he has lived through in America's history. (I was a bit disappointed by the crowd's expression of boos, but reactions like that are to be expected on either side of the aisle.) Putting aside all of the arguments on the competence or experience of the McCain/Palin team, it was incredible to see such a historic pairing - a male war veteran presidential candidate and a female vice presidential candidate!
Reality did not hit me until the Obama family proudly walked onto the stage to be presented for the very first time as the next First Family...Now, there are things about Mr. Obama that I agree with and disagree with, but that was not what hit me...For the first time in America's history, an African American family was presented as the First Family of our country!! It was so hard to believe! Finally! That was a moment in history that I will be excited to tell my children over and over again. It was even more incredibly historic to see the President-elect standing with the Vice President-elect...An African American President standing next to his White Vice President!
Well, I was in tears at the mere sight of what I just saw through my little television screen in my apartment. A couple of friends and I texted back and forth in shock of what had just happened, and all three of us were in tears as we watched history. Regardless of whether you supported or opposed Barack Obama, surely people would be inspired by what they saw this night...Evidently I was wrong. Although I found support and awe, I also found hatred and crudeness.
Firstly, so many of the "design bloggers" that I follow (both American and International) touched my heart to see them put aside their blog themes for a moment to express their joyful feelings about America's presidential election. Even in the blogging world, I saw a new kind of unity arise that I have not seen in years; I saw the hope of a new and peaceful vision for America and for my international neighbors. Thank you to all of the "design bloggers" who respectfully expressed your feelings! It truly touched my heart in an amazing way.
Secondly, I was brought to tears again as I read the various news articles about the world's response to America's presidential election...Country after country showing their support for President-elect Barack Obama.
Thirdly, I was also brought to tears by the hateful expressions of those who did not support Mr. Obama for the various reasons that they held onto. I did not hear their respectful disappointment (which, I will add, those disappointed by the presidential election results have every right to express their feelings and to be upset if their candidate of choice did not win) but rather, I heard vile language, hatred, merciless attitudes, and many of which came from "Christians". The latter point hurt me the most. I am unapologetically a believer in Jesus Christ and yet I have not seen some believers maintain their character and integrity. Whether Obama or McCain were to win, it should not alter our reactions ("our" including every human, but espcially Christians). I read on one persons facebook that they were disgusted and full of rage at the outcome; that they wanted to scream explitives, etc., and yet they were going to refrain from further action or public language because, essentially, it would be "un-Christian" to do otherwise.
The rhetoric that I have read like this one individual's is shocking (even though I know that it is to be expected in our imperfect world). In reference to the presidential candidates, there are things that I like and dislike about each of them, and yet I do not think that either of them are "evil", as some will claim. I have respect for both of them. They have both done honorable and dishonorable things in their lifetimes, a characteristic that we all have in common. What many people have tried to do is to weigh the candidates' flaws. Well, that is not up to us. I believe that humans (and on a more personal level, Christians) were never given that responsibility...it is up to God. We are, however, responsible to make the most informed decision that we can regardless of the issue after we have spent much time meditating on what the Lord leads us to do. I am not a Bible scholar by any means, but what I have learned of my Lord Jesus Christ is that He was a man of love, grace, and mercy. He was intellectual, open-minded (yet grounded in His core values and faith in His Father), and He showed respect to every person he encountered. Christ also knew that God would provide in every circumstance.
Despite the disappointing reactions by some people, I have also been encouraged by others who would have liked to see another outcome in our Presidential election. A woman came into the store where I work and calmly expressed that she voted in favor of McCain because he fell more in line with her values than did Obama, but that she was not bitter about the outcome. It was helpful to hear her positive response amidst her own personal upset. Probably most uplifting was my mom's response. My mother is a very conservative, traditional Republican and a very devout Christian. I don't like to talk politics with her any more because I know that it will lead to more barriers rather than peacefulness. She sent an e-mail to our family the morning after the election. I did not hear resentment, but I heard peace:
Like all of you, I had been praying for the elections and was not totally surprised at the election results. I woke up wondering what the future holds but then God did something wonderful. He put a beautiful rainbow in the sky this morning. Did you happen to see it? What a beautiful reminder that only He could give. It’s something we already know, but it sure is great to have the Creator, Himself, remind us of that— HE is still God no matter who is in office and that He always keeps His promises, “I will never leave you or forsake you”...“…morning by morning new mercies I see.” Thanks, mom.
Whether you like Obama or not; whether you liked George Bush or not, our country has a new and clean slate. The world sees it. Why not take advantage of it and take the first steps of hope and peace rather than hate and resentment? Despite the corruption and violence in our world, there is still too much beauty in the world to not want to live for peace! As a lesson that I learned from my dad and mom since I was a child, no matter who is in office it is our duty to extend the hand of love, peace, and hope. We are all individuals, created in His image, regardless of our race, color or religion, and each and every day gives us new opportunities to bring healing to our world!
4 comments:
beautiful. it truly is an amazing new time in our world. it's exciting to think of what the future holds. love you, dear. :)
Abby, I really enjoyed reading this post. It is nice to hear what you heard this week amidst all the historic events. I wish I could have been there to cry for joy with you!
Thank you so much for your encouragement, Abigail. I love you so much. Have a great week!
Hi Abigail, that was such a great post. As a fellow Christian, I am with you with everything you said on the topic.
When will you be setting off on your tours? Do let me know.
Sharon
Post a Comment